Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Tuna fish

has always been my favorite sandwich. Even when I was a (not particularly picky) second grader. I was a traditionalist for the first half of my life: mayo, pickles, celery, mustard, combined with grilled cheese if I was feeling ambitious. But my friend Liz blew my mind with her addition of apples, carrots, onions, chunks of mozzarella, whatever was in the fridge. Ever since that sunny afternoon (we were studying for a physiology test) I've appreciated tuna's blank-canvas appeal. Today's salad was a desperate scramble for what was in my fridge and I think it turned out great.

To one can of tuna (drained) I added a tablespoon or two of mayo (I use the olive oil based version which seems a little less weird/fatty/gross--I do like my tuna creamy) (not enough that it's drippy/sloppy though, just enough to moisten up the tuna), a tablespoon or so of diced fresh parsley, 3 sliced green onions, a couple-bites-worth of finely grated raw sweet potato (my friend's mom offered raw sweet potato slices on a tray of crudite, I didn't love it, but it's not bad raw, it's nice and crunchy, and quick) (I ended up with two big tablespoons-full), I also added a leaf of kale that I roughly chopped and seered in a pan with some cooking spray (I heated the pan, added the kale, stirred for a minute or two, then covered the pan and let the kale steam and wilt).

I mixed the lot up, added salt and pepper, smeared on toasted wheat bread and enjoyed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment