Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Miso soup with a lime and cilantro twist

This recipe is mostly inspired by 101 Cookbooks. It's been this weird really cold spring weather here this week, so a nice light soup is sort of perfect. I added the lime I think? And her recipe doesn't call for dashi which is supposed to make a difference...

I *love* miso, I'm pretty sure it's better than chicken soup if you're feeling under the weather, particularly if that weather is caffeine, candy, sleep-deprivation, and/or paper-writing induced.

In one pot, start a handful of soba noodles boiling (I used good whole wheat spaghetti noodles this weekend and was pretty happy with the results). In another, start your broth: 4 C water plus 1 t dashi powder (I follow my bottle's directions). When that's boiling add 1-2 inch slice of tofu cut into small cubes, a handful of spinach, 3 green onions, chopped. The idea here is to warm everything up, not to simmer it, so when the dashi has returned to a boil, take it off the heat. In a ladle or small bowl mix 3 T miso paste with a little water and once the dashi has stopped boiling (miso loses its flavor when it's boiled apparently?) mix that in.

Your noodles should be about done. Drain and divide into two bowls. Top with a tablespoon or so (each bowl) diced cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Pour miso broth over top and serve.

Light and tangy and comforting and wonderful.


(I might try it with some red pepper flakes next time--I sort of like the idea of a fish-sauce-less pho, which this recipe comes to resemble more every time I make it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment