Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sweet potato+dark greens

So dark green and orange vegetables seem to be sort of a thing, right? I can't imagine that they are the only healthy vegetables around, but there's obvs fiber+vitamins. And plus: Kale and sweet potatoes are pretty much the most delicious combo in the history of the world. If I'm feeling really ambitions I'll pair them with something grainy, but tonight I didn't feel like investing time in brown rice and delicious all-veggie dinner sounded light and perfect.


I sauteed a couple of teaspoons of garlic in a tablespoon or so of olive oil, then added probably two cups of spinach and chopped kale plus salt and pepper. I let them soften up a little, then covered the pan and turned down the heat to let them steam. Then I microwaved a small-ish sweet potato (I usually roast, but, again, was feeling kind of low energy), peeled and mashed it, and stirred in the greens. Success. The kale goes sweet (like cooked broccoli) and adds crunch to the spinach, sweet potatoes are the most delicious food I know of, and the garlic ties it all together.

Questions:
1. Does anyone else feel itchy-throated after eating kale? Should I cook it longer? Drink more water? I love the stuff, but wonder...

2. How do you keep spinach+greens fresh? They wilt in my fridge, get soggy in their plastic bags. This week I tried chopping the ends and keeping them in water like flowers (this worked great for the kale and for my parsley and cilantro, but spinach seems finicky).

1 comment:

  1. Only thing I've ever found to keep spinach alive for more than a couple of days is 2 or 3 folded paper towels in the bottom of whatever container they're in (I think I've had the most success with a not-airtight (read: open) plastic bag). Seems like extra water does the most damage, so it helps if I wait to rinse it until I'm ready to cook/eat it, too. I'm so excited you're blogging this, btw! Can't wait to see what else you've got up your sleeves! You've made me brave enough already to want to go buy a big bunch of kale tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete