Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Tofu-week continues:

I made a ginger-lemon vinaigrette to go with a spinach salad for a last minute party a month or two ago, and it was delicious. I've found a couple of versions of the vinaigrette online, and though my dinner tonight used one of the online versions I think I'm going include the one I whipped up because I like it better.

This is another soba noodle and tofu dish: I'm working my way through a block of tofu (I generally forget about tofu once I've stored it in my fridge, but am trying to use it all this week), so similar structurally to the miso soup I made yesterday, but the flavors are much sharper.

1. Soba noodles: boiled, drained.
2. Tofu: sliced into inch-sized cubes, fried in cooking spray (canola oil, I resprayed every 5 or so minutes) a couple of minutes on all sides until brown and crunchy. (I cut my tofu small and it ended up being kind of oily. I would also salt next time). At the very last minute, add a teaspoon of sesame seeds so they can roast up.
3: Vinaigrette: juice one lemon. Add an equal amount of oil (I used a cheap, tasteless olive, but veggie would be fine), a tablespoon or two of sweetener (agave nectar was really good, honey works well, sugar would be great too), grate in the rind from half your lemon, an inch and a half of fresh ginger, red pepper flakes, salt (a couple teaspoons--to taste) and pepper. Whisk with a fork until all the ingredients are incorporated.

Toss everything together in a lovely blue bowl (I will get a camera and photos up one of these days) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment